Dental Implants Scottsdale, AZ
Dental implants are an excellent option for patients with damaged or missing teeth who want a more permanent solution than dentures. At Precious Smiles, we carefully coordinate the manufacturing and installation of your dental implants between your restorative dentist and oral surgeon.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial teeth which are permanently attached to your gums via a support system. While removable dentures replace missing teeth, they do not provide jaw support. The jawbone deteriorates without teeth to stimulate bone growth, and dental implants provide this support using an artificial root. By filling the gaps in your teeth, implants shelter neighboring teeth from additional decay. The color and shape of your implants is seamlessly matched to the rest of your teeth, and since implants are made of similar materials to your natural teeth, they effectively restore proper biting, chewing, and speaking functions.
What is the Procedure for Installing Dental Implants?
Dental implant surgery has many steps, performed over several months to allow for healing and growth of your gums and jaw.
• If the implant is replacing a damaged tooth, the tooth is removed.
• Your jawbone is assessed for surgery. If your teeth have been missing for long enough, your jawbone may have weakened and require a bone graft. In this procedure, a piece of bone is transplanted from another part of your body to strengthen the jaw bone. Several months may be necessary for the grafted bone to grow strong enough to support an implant.
• Next, the implant is placed. Your oral surgeon anchors the implant deep within your gums and jawbone. This is performed as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia. At this stage, you will have a gap in your teeth, and you may request a temporary denture to fill the gap for appearance.
• Several more months are required for the jawbone to grow and fuse with the implant. This process will provide a solid base for your new tooth.
• In a separate surgery, the abutment is placed: a support rod where the crown will attach.
• Finally, you will choose the type of artificial tooth: removable or fixed. Removable teeth are similar to removable dentures, while fixed teeth are permanently bonded to the abutment.
Throughout this process, your dentist and oral surgeon will guide treatment and ensure your comfort. Though dental implant surgery can be long and involved, the results are durable and long-lasting, with a full restoration of tooth function. Call Precious Smiles to get the process started, and experience our top-quality, thorough care.